Thursday, April 17, 2014

How to NOT Loose Yourself in a Relationship

Lets face it, when you're in a new (or even long term) relationship, everything is wonderful and surprising. But before you know it, you get so sucked into the relationship that you start to forget about the most important thing, YOU! I'm guilty of this as well and I'm sure many other people are too. If you haven't experienced this then you're supernatural. My boyfriend is in a band so he is out of town a lot. When he left, I found myself going crazy about what he's doing, who he is with, etc. The first step is to realize the problem (which I have just discovered) and then fix it! Not only will you benefit from time for yourself, but your relationship will as well. It's good to miss each other.

1. You have Girlfriends, So Use Them!
This is probably the best idea. Surrounding yourself with other people will help you keep you're mind on other things. You're girlfriends are there to make you smile and laugh, so let them! Whether it's staying home and watching The Notebook or going out to the local dive bar to grab a beer, you will end up having a great time. Do a girls weekend away. I just spent the weekend with my girlfriends going wine tasting, sitting by the river playing music, and enjoying great meals. It was so refreshing going to a new town and just spending time with them. I had never laughed so hard and felt more free.

2. Take A Class
Whether it's a cooking class, art class, yoga class, give it a chance. I started taking an Arial Yoga class, which gives you a great workout and makes you feel sexy at the same time (DISCLAIMER: you will be incredibly sore the next few days, but totally worth it). Also, try checking out your local community college. They have a bunch of awesome classes you can take for fun.

3. Geocaching 
I know many of you might be thinking, what the heck is that? But its a wonderful adventure. Think of it as a worldwide outdoor scavenger hunt. There are hidden treasures all around the world and most likely even in your neighborhood. You can download the app for FREE on iTunes. You search specific GPS coordinates and then try to find the hidden container.

4. Visit Family
Nothing is better than spending the day with your family. Since I live with my boyfriend and all my family lives hours away, it's sometimes difficult to do so. But recently, I had the day off work, so I drove a couple hours to visit my grandmother in Monterey. We spent the day at the beach and walking around Fisherman's Wharf (also eating some of the best clam chowder you will ever have!). And of course, nothing beats grandma's homemade cookies.

5. Pick Up Extra Shifts at Work
I know, I know. This doesn't seem like the BEST time, but it does keep you busy. But for those of you who love your jobs, this is perfect for you. Look at it this way, while it keeps you occupied and can also be making some extra cash. That's what I call a double win!

6. Read
When you get consumed in a good book, you don't always notice the world around you. This is perfect for YOU time. Spend the morning outside reading a great book and dive into a different world. I just finished The Fault in Our Stars. I got so wrapped up in the booked that I read it in day. You can even go to your local coffee shop, grab your favorite drink, and get lost in a good book.

7. Start a Blog
I've always loved blogging and spending hours on Tumblr. There's nothing better than getting your thought out. For me, making myself feel exposed is really freeing and soothing. Blog about whatever comes to mind! You can make it your personal diary or write about something you feel passionate about. You might be surprised how much fun it is and how many people might feel the same way as you.

It may be easier to do baby steps, but take your time! You will be amazed with the difference it does make.



No comments:

Post a Comment